Thursday, January 22, 2009

Spicy Chicken Drummettes - Korean Style - (매운 닭날개)

I finally went to the grocery store today! It was my first time going without the MR since the whole cancer thing. Of course Munchkin joined me today so I took the time to stop by the mall and do some shopping as well. Things are slowly going back to normal...

I try and only serve fried foods once every two months or so. I figured it's been a while, so I went out and bought some chicken wings for both Munchkin and the MR.

Things needed:
  • 2 lbs. chicken wings (at the K-market, they sell only the drummette portion which I like to get)
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 cup tempura powder
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 TSP pepper, 1 TSP onion powder, 1 TSP ginger powder
  • Sauce: 2 TB rice wine, 1.5 TB vinegar, 1 TB red pepper oil, 1 TB pure honey, 2 TB gook ganjang, 2 TB red pepper paste, 2 TB sugar, 2 TB corn syrup

_MG_1082_MG_1086
In a bowl add 1/2 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup tempura powder, and 3/4 cup water.


_MG_1088
Mix it well and add 1 TSP black pepper, 1 TSP ginger powder, and 1 TSP onion powder.


_MG_1089
Meanwhile wash and clean the chicken wings.


_MG_1091
Add the mixture to the chicken and coat each piece thoroughly like so.


_MG_1093
Heat a pot of oil. I just let it sit on high heat for about 20 minutes. MAKE SURE IT'S HOT!


_MG_1094
Add however many chicken wings will fit in at a time and let it fry. I ended up having to do four separate batches.


_MG_1095
Fry it until it's nice and golden brown and then set the chicken pieces on a baking sheet.


_MG_1097
Get the sauce mixture ready. Mix together the following: 2 TB rice wine, 1.5 TB vinegar, 1 TB red pepper oil, 1 TB pure honey, 2 TB gook ganjang, 2 TB red pepper paste, 2 TB sugar, 2 TB corn syrup


_MG_1100
After you're done frying all the chicken pieces and they have cooled down a bit...


_MG_1102
Throw the chicken into the mixture and make sure to coat each piece really well.


_MG_1103
Place them back onto the baking pan and pop it into the oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. About halfway through, make sure to flip over the chicken pieces to ensure even cooking.


_MG_1106
You're now ready to serve and enjoy!!! I know I should not have eaten it, but I had to do a taste test on ONE piece. =P

9 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make this at home thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *drools* looks so scrumptious! we eat a lot of chicken in our house, so will have to try this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy... do you know if this is possible to make with boneless/skinless chicken breast? Otherwise my hubby won't eat it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for making it so easy to cook these delicious dishes. With those insightful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing! is it really spicy though? hubby has a sensitive stomach...

    ReplyDelete
  7. DROOL. Im making this for dinner woman. THanks!!!!! i love love love love that I have this website . Seriously, I unno what I would do without this on some days. You're the best. hehehehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  8. All my friends loved this, it was just right (I live for spicy food). Anyway, will be making this again. It was well worth the time although it's good to have a few wings ready because they brown pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely making this! Getting hungry just looking at the pics

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share