Monday, December 14, 2009

Spicy Oxtail Jjim - (매운 쇠꼬리 찜)

I know it's been such a long time since I did a food update. It partly has to do with the fact that I'm not cooking much these days and also when I do cook, I'm in such a hurry that I don't have time to pause and take pictures every step of the way.

The cold weather (can't deny that I'm a SoCal girl) has been quite annoying so I haven't been leaving the house much lately.

        

IMG_5697
After lounging around and doing absolutely nothing all morning, I finally got my butt in gear and headed over to the K-market. I bought a package of ox tails and decided to step outside the box a little.  I have yet to taste the *spicy kalbi jjim* I hear everyone raving about, so I thought I would make my own version of it at home.

 


IMG_5698
As always drain the blood for about 30 minutes, then boil the meat until all the gunk rises.



IMG_5699
Meanwhile, get your sauce ready. Mix together the following:

  • 1.5 cup water
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1 TB minced garlic
  • 3 TB cooking wine
  • 3 TB sugar
  • 3 TB honey powder
  • 1 TB red pepper powder
  • 1/4 minced Asian Pear
  • dash of pepper
  • dash of ground ginger



IMG_5701
After the meat boils, give it a rinse under cool water...


IMG_5702
Add it back to the pot with the sauce and bring it to a strong boil. Once it's boiling, close the lid and let it simmer on medium/low heat for about 1.5 hours.


IMG_5706
I then prepped baby white potatoes, baby carrots, and dried daechus (jujubes).


IMG_5708
I also decided to add some mushrooms – just because I had them.



IMG_5712
After an hour, it should start looking like this...


IMG_5716
Add the potatoes, carrots and daechus and continue to let it boil for another 30 minutes.


IMG_5717
Finally, add the mushrooms and let it simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.


IMG_5718
After about two hours of simmering, you're ready to serve!


IMG_5720
If you've cooked it long enough, the meat should just fall right off and melt in your mouth!  Enjoy.  The little guy loved it today.  =P  Hopefully I will find time to be back sooner than later.

9 comments:

  1. it's funny, i just had a conversation with my brother about dates and jujubes. i had no idea what jujubes were, I always thought that daechus were just dates.

    this recipe sounds great. my mother only makes oxtail soup, never in a spicy jjim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! a recipe!! I LOVVEEE oxtail, but all I know how to make with oxtails is gom tang. Thank you for this! I'm going to make it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you decided to continue blogging! Looks soo good : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering what i can substitute honey powder with (since you already put sugar). More sugar or do you think regular honey would still taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello! i love reading your blog! i was wondering what can i substitute the asian pear with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I love your blog! Can you tell me how many lbs of ox tail you used?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dish looks delicious. I like the details of instructions on your log. Great work!

    Lena
    http://www.vietfoodrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really like your blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share