Monday, July 19, 2010

Onion Salad

Once again, I’ve been on a blogging hiatus and I apologize for that.  The weather has been SOOOOOOOOOO hot here in SoCal that just the thought of going into the kitchen and turning up the heat was suffocating.  I felt bad about not cooking more often, so this past weekend we headed to K-town and picked up some meat.  On Sunday we had some yummy steaks and today we ate cha-dol-begi.

Enough rambling and onto the recipe…

Ingredients:

  • 1 large onion
  • dressing: 1/2 TB minced garlic, 1/2 TB wasabi, 2 TB rice wine, 1 TB soy sauce and 7 TB vinegar

 

IMG_6721

I was being lazy and didn’t want to head upstairs to grab my flash and THIS is what the picture looked like.  =/

 

IMG_6725

So I went upstairs, grabbed my flash and this is the result.  It’s strange how flash works better for me with food pictures, but when I’m shooting Munchkin or anything else – I rarely use flash.  Anyhow…

I usually eat cha-dol-begi (thinly sliced beef brisket) with this sauce.  But today I decided that I would make an onion salad similar to the one they *used to* serve at Byul Dae Po – one of my favorite AYCE Korean BBQ places.  The last time I was there, the server informed me that they no longer gave out the onion salad because the price of onions had skyrocketed.  =/  I dunno if that’s the truth, but I’m hoping they will serve it again in the future.  Anyhow this is my replication of their onion salad.  Super easy and a perfect accompaniment to gogi-gogi!  First, go and grab one large white onion.  You can slice it by hand, or use a trusty mandolin to do the work for you!  Slice away~

 

IMG_6729

You want it thin, but not too thin…

 

IMG_6731

And then add the following ingredients:  1/2 TB minced garlic, 1/2 TB wasabi, 2 TB rice wine, 1 TB soy sauce and 7 TB vinegar.

 

IMG_6732

Mix it up WELL.  You do not want to bite down into a chunk of wasabi.

 

IMG_6735

And transfer it into a nice serving bowl.  You’ll be left with quite a bit of liquid so just pour it over the top and discard any excess.

 

IMG_6743

You’re now ready to eat with some gogi!

 

IMG_6726

I know I’ve mentioned Choice Meat Market before and if you haven’t already, you MUST go and try their meats.

 

IMG_6745

It’s a lot more than what you would pay at the K-market, but their meat melts in your mouth. 

 

IMG_6747

I sliced up some onions and mushrooms…

 

IMG_6748

Got our trusty old indoor gogi-grill going (there’s even a compartment that collects the drained fat!) – I think the last time we brought this out was over two years ago! 

 

IMG_6750

And then it was grilling time!

 

IMG_6751

We ate the whole thing!

 

IMG_6752

Everyone in our small family of three was happy and full!  Hope everyone is doing well.  I will *try* to be back sooner rather than later.  =)

10 comments:

  1. very interesting, kobe it must be quite expensive..
    thx for sharing with us

    Submit Your Blog to 350 Search Engines And Directories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the south, While I was at our local farmers market today, I noticed okra has come in with a vengeance. Are there any Korean recipes featuring okra? I did a quick Google search, and could not find any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man that looks delicious! thanks for sharing!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! My mom is an awesome cook but like most other Korean moms she never can explain the exact quantity of ingredients to put. I look up recipes on here all the time! Thank you so much :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for your blog, it is the best I found about korean cuisine.
    Do you have a recipe for jumuluk 주물럭 ? I don't find any recipe in english for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I got a little hungry when I saw the photos. Who can resist a lovely salad such as this? All I can say is good Job because this is a lovely idea. Onion salad is very good on summer. Thanks for sharing this one. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo hot?! I live down south and its 102 degrees here!! I was in cali not to long ago and loved the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you purchase your indoor grill?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is that sauce you put on the top of mushroom?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share